About Me

I'm a research assistant stationed on Gough Island in the South Atlantic Ocean. We are conducting research for the RSPB on birds living on the island. We will be here until late September or early October 2011. A map of the island can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/niclemaitre/5381019736/

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Things are looking up. 10 January to 16 January

Most, if not all of you, must have heard by now what happened on New Years. Anyway, the long and the short of it is Ross has been fired by the RSPB and will be heading home on the next ship. I am not sure when that will be but it means that I am staying put until September, so you are all free of me for another nine months still.

Much of this week has been taken up by hearings and other processes so we haven't really done anything of note. We have been the last eight days without rain and the stream that supplies water to the base has dried up. Thankfully it rained hard on Friday and Saturday, before the tanks ran out and now water is plentiful again. We shall have to be careful during February...

Something that I hopefully be able to post photos of soon is one of the most amazing sights I have every seen, huge flocks of Great Shearwaters forming rafts on the sea and thousands more flying everywhere. It happens most evenings but I haven't been able to get any decent photos as of yet. However, this week I shall make a special effort.

That is it really, nothing more to relate, you can all go back to work now. I don't even have any nice photos to post, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment