About Me

I'm a research assistant stationed on Gough Island in the South Atlantic Ocean. We are conducting research for the RSPB on birds living on the island. We will be here until late September or early October 2011. A map of the island can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/niclemaitre/5381019736/

Sunday, February 13, 2011

First week alone - 9 February to 13 February

Well, it is Sunday and I'm not dead. Just kidding, my first week without Ross's opinion on everything has actually been okay. I was quite worried that I would not be able to carry out everything that my boss wants me to do but I have made peace with it. If I can't manage to get through all the work they set me then it is actually their problem and not mine, I can only do my best and then that is it. I don't know, perhaps I am being overly pessimistic as I have not seen the revised workplan. Maybe it will only have a few things to do and I will pass the remainder of my days here on the island in proper movie island idyll style, sipping cocktails in a hammock with a sea view.
The Glen, site of the old Base is just below the rock spike just to the left of centre
It is quite nice working by myself actually, it means I can get started at a reasonable time in the morning, Ross was not a morning person, we rarely got going before 9am, which is crazy on an island where it is light from 5am. I am currently sort of marking time, waiting for the revised workplan, only continuing with the two priorities for this month which are monitoring the Tristan nests at Tafelkoppie and Gonydale, as well as doing Sagina inspections. Both of these have serious restrictions in place now with Ross having left. I am no longer doing the inspections in the areas that require ropework as the RSPB, John and I think it is too risky to work alone. Also I am not allowed to go to Gonydale by myself as it is a comms dead spot and John (in line with the DEA regulations) does not want me there alone. This has caused some problems as I am now reliant on either Michelle or Prince to accompany me and they have other duties which must take priority. Again, however these are not really my problems but rather the RSPB's as it was their decision not to replace Ross which has caused this. I wish they would hurry up with the new workplan, they have known since the first week in January that Ross was going to be leaving and that they were not sending a replacement. They have therefore had more than a month to edit the existing document, which is more than enough time. Thankfully this is also not my problem as I can do nothing about it whatsoever, so I shall not let it bother me.

To end, as it is Valentine's Day tomorrow, I would like to wish all the women reading this a wonderful day and hope you get spoilt by your significant other. If you don't have a significant other I hope at least that you receive some token from a mysterious stranger...

1 comment:

  1. Damn! it doesn't allow anonymous comments...

    Oh well, have a wonderful Valentines day! Treat yourself and give yourself everything you desire! Well... everything available on the island ;-)

    x

    ReplyDelete