About Me

I'm a research assistant stationed on Gough Island in the South Atlantic Ocean. We are conducting research for the RSPB on birds living on the island. We will be here until late September or early October 2011. A map of the island can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/niclemaitre/5381019736/

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mad Birds and Englishwomen - 11 April to 17 April

...go out in the midday sun...
South West Island from Cavern Head. Before all of you rock climbers get excited, the rock here is worse than the 'Berg. Still impressive though.
At least that is how we roll on Gough Island. Actually it is not just the midday sun and not just the Englishwomen, Prince hardly fits that definition and they have to do weather observations every three hours whatever the weather. I'm really glad I don't have their job, even though the four days off, two days on working schedule has some appeal, the getting up at 03:00 does not.
South Point from Cavern Head. I'll have to go there soon to collect penguin feathers

This has been a rather lonely week for me, I've been visiting parts of the island where I've never been before and seeing beautiful sights and I have no one to experience them with me. So much of the enjoyment of these experiences comes from sharing them with someone else. I don't mean to insult you, dear Faithful Reader, I do value your reading of this blog and your comments greatly but it is not the same as having someone with you. Michelle would have come along but she has been catching up on her missed shifts and recovering from her illness. It seems silly to be here, doing this on my own, when I know of so many people who would have jumped at the chance to come and work here in Ross' place had they been given the chance. It was too much admin to replace him, so they took the easy way out, I guess.
Juvenile Antarctic Tern

Anyway, I have now been to Richmond Hill (the hill in every one of the sunset photos I have posted), Cavern Head and the Serengeti (the plain to the north of the base on the far side of Hill 960) to count the Sooty Albatross fledglings. I also revisited Admirals, which was easier than last time because I didn't have to teach anyone how to jumar out this time. Mere words cannot express what a special place (on this island of special places) Admirals is. There is something undefinable about it. It would be perfect if it wasn't covered in ferocious seals.
The Admiral sea stack

Anyway, my bed is calling me. I miss all of you a lot and I cannot wait to come home although I will miss the island. Under five months now :-)

The bottom of the rope

The Admiral, the Midshipman and the penguins...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the island really looks magical. Thanks for all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame, Nic, sounds a tad lonely! Don't worry, you'll be home before you know it! :)

    ReplyDelete