About Me

I'm a research assistant stationed on Gough Island in the South Atlantic Ocean. We are conducting research for the RSPB on birds living on the island. We will be here until late September or early October 2011. A map of the island can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/niclemaitre/5381019736/

Sunday, May 1, 2011

A new vocation and one hell of a party - 25 April to 1 May

Life on the small scale, this little red sedge plant is about two millimeters across
Creeping moss
A Skua, probably the brightest birds on the island and the biggest chance takers
So this week has been a little different, other than a brief visit to Gonydale and Tafelkoppie on Monday, I have been rediscovering my technical drawing and carpentry skills. I have had to redesign the plans that Richard sent me for the Moorhen cages as they omitted subtle details such as doors; hence the technical drawing skills were required to produce a plan that I could actually work from. Then came the carpentry part, I first had to disassemble the remnants of the cages that were built by my predecessors to salvage enough wood to build the new cages. Fortunately they built them using PozEdrv screws (ones where you put in the screws with a cordless drill, without having to drill pilot holes) which in theory come out as easily as they go in. However, these were quite rusted and not all of them gave up so easily, in fact, I managed to break three bits for the drill while doing it. This established that the bits were not of the best quality (thank you lowest bidder) and so a screwdriver was sacrificed with the assistance of an angle grinder and pressed into service as a bit. This worked much better (especially once I remembered my Dad's advice to tighten the screws slightly first before loosening them - it may seem counterintuitive but it works!)  and all the old framing was dismantled.

A rainbow but not the end of the rain
Skies of fire

A Sooty with a great sense of timing
Assembly of the new cages went fairly smoothly, with one or two minor hitches (never ever assume that the lengths of wood you are working with are the same length or thickness) and they are almost complete. Hopefully tomorrow, with Mornay's assistance, I will cover them with wire and then take them outside and fasten them down securely. It will be a while before they will be used, I shall have to first test them for mouse-proofness for a few days and also collect material to place in them to make them more "homely". Building the cages has been quite fun, it is the first time that I have been getting paid to play with power tools and I have always enjoyed carpentry. It is very satisfying to build things and wood is a great medium for doing that.

So then, it was Saturday and time for a celebration. Sadly, everyone who I had invited (except my fellow team members) backed out the last minute, citing a variation on the theme of: "I have this thing that I forgot about... Sorry." I am not impressed! Just kidding, thanks to everyone for their emails, messages and phone calls, it means a lot.

We never miss a chance for a party on this island and it was wild! Everybody dressed up, a good time was had by all and much alcohol was consumed. Good times, good times indeed. Yes, there are videos in addition to the pictures but those I am not going to share because I will die of embarrassment!
Minnie Mouse - Robyn

Flash Gordon - Prince

Fred Flintsone - Mornay

Captain Planet and Quasimodo - Leonie

Minnie, Quasi and Smurfette - Michelle

Writing a message on the weather balloon, a birthday tradition here
Carrying my ball and chain, another tradition that was forgotten but was resurrected for my birthday. It stayed on all night until I almost dropped it on my foot
Friar Tuck - John
Needless to say today has been a quiet, contemplative day with not much achieved. Recovery is a slow process.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a ball (pun intended)! All the public holidays were great this side and soon we'll be celebrating your 26.5th birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Carol: for sure we will, hope that you managed to get out of the lab for a while?

    ReplyDelete