About Me

I'm a research assistant stationed on Gough Island in the South Atlantic Ocean. We are conducting research for the RSPB on birds living on the island. We will be here until late September or early October 2011. A map of the island can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/niclemaitre/5381019736/

Monday, June 13, 2011

Weather delays - 6 June to 12 June

Sorry that I have delayed your Monday morning fix today but it was due to factors well beyond my control. The weather has been, well, shocking of late and the satellite system really struggles when it is raining which means that our internet connection was either down or really slow last night. It is still raining today (so much for my schedule!) but the connection seems much better so here goes.

Bad weather has once again been the theme this week but that is pretty much par for the course on an island with 300 rain days a year. Additionally it seems that we have some catching up to do as the weather has really not been bad at all this year with plenty of stunning days to get out and explore this beautiful island.

It is simply wonderful to have workplace outdoors rather in, however it does mean that on the days when it is pouring and I have work I cannot postpone or delay, I have to suck it up and get soaked. I had thought that there could not be anything worse for raingear than fynbos but I was wrong. The bracken here has destroyed two pairs of really nice eVent rain pants and is slowly killing my jacket too. The only upside is that I didn't have to pay for the gear myself, which is nice :-)
The walrus-deer of Gough, very rare and seldom sighted
My moorhens in the small cages do not seem to be adapting well to captivity, they all have lost around 10% body mass which is really worrying especially since they are not under fed at all. I am waiting for advice from up the food chain as to whether I should release them early and write off the trial. The last thing I want to do is kill members of an endangered species!
It started out as a nice day...
As coming home nears, we are all becoming more and more apprehensive, worried that we will not find the opportunities that we are seeking, that friends and family will have changed or that we will have changed greatly. Living here is a wonderful stress free cocoon, free from the worries of the world. Everything seems to pass us by with little or no effects on us. Politics, disasters and crime, these are all things that happen to other people far, far away and not here. The thought of returning to a world where these things will be happening to us is rather unappealing  Maybe I should offer to do another year here... Just kidding! The positives of returning far outweigh the negatives, especially seeing friends and family again. You are what really matter and it is you who have gotten me this far and will get me the rest of the way until I can see Table Mountain again. That is going to be a very, very good day.

1 comment: